Casio FX-9000P

Je recherche. Tout et Rien, mais pas de petites annonces ici (pour les PA, c'est dans "Je donne, j'échange, j'achète et je vends")

Modérateur : Politburo

Répondre
Joscelyn
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Re: Casio FX-9000P

Message par Joscelyn »

Sweet, it looks very nice !!
Andrew, you are FAST 8O

Joscelyn
ImageImageImage ■■■ Image
Je cherche : lecteur 3,5" 720Ko / lecteur 5,25" 360Ko / Lecteur Casio FP-1021FD1 et une Casio FX-81 --> trouvée ! Thanks, Andrew :D
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Joscelyn a écrit : 24 nov. 2022 11:41 Sweet, it looks very nice !!
Andrew, you are FAST 8O

Joscelyn
It's an experimental PCB, really. So there's a good chance that something won't work. It's based on the original but has differences.
I try to get things moving. I breadboard on PCBs now as it's faster than wiring a breadboard, and you also have the PCB designed at the end of 'breadboarding'. I don't get hung up trying to get the PCB perfect, there's always going to be something wrong however long you agonise over it.

It'll be two or three weeks before it comes back.

Time to investigate a ROM version of some type. I think the Pico version for that.

Andrew
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

And the Pico cartridge. This one will need code to run. On both picos...
pico-9000-pack.jpg
pico-9000-pack.jpg (119.06 Kio) Vu 3369 fois
Another experimental prototype...

Andrew
Joscelyn
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Message par Joscelyn »

Amazing... did you change the layout or did you post an earlier revision of it previously ?
I *think* I remember seeing one with connection pads laid out differently on the PCB
Anyway, this one looks very interesting as well :D

Joscelyn
Je cherche : lecteur 3,5" 720Ko / lecteur 5,25" 360Ko / Lecteur Casio FP-1021FD1 et une Casio FX-81 --> trouvée ! Thanks, Andrew :D
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Joscelyn a écrit : 24 nov. 2022 21:47 Amazing... did you change the layout or did you post an earlier revision of it previously ?
I *think* I remember seeing one with connection pads laid out differently on the PCB
Anyway, this one looks very interesting as well :D

Joscelyn
The first image was from the original Pico design. I was going to try to put the RAM and Pico circuits on one card but I realised that they wouldn't fit, so I made two cards. The Pico design shows the version without the RAM circuitry. So there's two circuits now, and two cards.

I'm not sure about a ROM card. I could do one that is a copy of the original, but then you'd need to program EPROMs. Not everyone has the equipment to do that. I'd use larger EPROMs than 2716s anyway, as they are small and need different voltages. EPROMs also need UV to erase them. I have the programmer and erasers here, but not everyone does. I could use a flash chip, but they need programming as well, with a programmer. If the Pico PB works then you just need a USB cable to put code on the Picos. And there's an SD card slot so data should be able to come from there. I need to get it all working though... :-)

Any thoughts?

Andrew
Joscelyn
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Message par Joscelyn »

amenjet a écrit : 24 nov. 2022 10:20 I'm not sure how to approach a ROM cartridge, I think burning EPROMs is a pain these days. maybe a flash chip? Or just go for the Pico version and program it with USB? programming with USB sounds really nice.
Totally agreed on both fronts.

Unfortunately, I am no expert in PCB design, so I am not entitled to an opinion thereon.
However, I find them fantastic 8)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could chime in :?:

Now creating a suitable casing would be awesome, but also a lot of work.
What software would be most useful for this task ?
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

The original cartridge design is quite nice, as it has the PCB edge connector component in the FX9000P. This means that the cartridge PCB has just the PCB fingers on it, which is easy to create. If they'd done it the other way round then there would have been a probably tricky to obtain edge connector on every cartridges. As it is, all we need is a PCB. The case is similar. As far as I can see, it is just a case for the PCB, there's nothing very difficult about it. there is a metal handle, but I thing a plastic one might just work, although there is quite a force on the handle when inserting or removing the cartridge. It would be possible to make handles from aluminium but would be quite expensive. A 3D printed handle would be cheaper but probably not as strong, but maybe strong enough.

I use OpenSCAD, which is a 3D modelling tool that uses a programming language to define the shapes. There are other more conventional tools out there but I don't use them. It would make sense to try to follow the original design and have two halves. My 3D printer isn't big enough to print those halves so I'd have to make the case out of more pieces and then screw those together.

Andrew
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Well, the PCBs have arrived back.

This is the Pico version:
P1070213_pico.JPG
P1070213_pico.JPG (73.42 Kio) Vu 2961 fois
This is the one with a RAM chip:
P1070216_ram.JPG
P1070216_ram.JPG (64.95 Kio) Vu 2961 fois
Unfortunately it looks like one of the holes for mounting screws is in the wrong place,
P1070215_case.JPG
P1070215_case.JPG (68.55 Kio) Vu 2961 fois
but a bit of filing will fix that. there's probably other problems too, so a V1.1 will be needed I think...

Andrew
Joscelyn
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Message par Joscelyn »

Impressive, and very pleased to see them in the flesh - or almost !
Filing might prove difficult, as I see there is a track nearby...
Looking awesome so far... hoping to see theses boards populated !

Joscelyn
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Joscelyn a écrit : 18 déc. 2022 23:13 Impressive, and very pleased to see them in the flesh - or almost !
Filing might prove difficult, as I see there is a track nearby...
Looking awesome so far... hoping to see theses boards populated !

Joscelyn
I don't have the RAM chips for the RAM cartridge yet, so I'll wait until I have those before I populate the PCB. I have populated a Pico cartridge. I filed the holes as well, to allow the PCB to fit in the cartridge case. That did cut two tracks, but I'll run wires to replace those. I have plugged the cartridge in and it fits quite nicely, All the edge connector fingers look OK. i just need to write some code now...

I'll post pictures soon...

Andrew
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Here's the populated version:
IMAG3083sc.jpg
IMAG3083sc.jpg (49.16 Kio) Vu 2841 fois
The Picos are in sockets as this is a prototype, they will have to be soldered to the PCB on the final arrangement as they are too high otherwise.
There's a few wires where I had to file the holes out.

Of course, it may not work...

Andrew
Joscelyn
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds
Fonctionne à 1200 bauds

Message par Joscelyn »

Hi Andrew,

Wow - that board looks badass !!!
Hopefully it will work as intended
Being curious : what are the jumpers at the bottom of the picture for ?
Great job :!:
Joscelyn
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Joscelyn a écrit : 21 déc. 2022 10:45 Hi Andrew,

Joscelyn
the jumpers are to configure the board as different sizes of memory in the memory map. So it can be a 4K, 8K,... etc. That sizing is done in hardware as mentioned in the previous post. Firmware can't really do that and I've run out of GPIOs anyway, which is why there are two Picos. It makes it easier handling the SD card two, really. I just need to have a link between the two Picos.

Maybe a Transputer link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_q7ltG8gY&t=8s

Or maybe just simple serial data.

This board actually has four ARM cores 2x265K of RAM and 4Mbytes of flash. Each core runs at 120MHz or so, so this cartridge is far more powerful than the FX9000P itself... But that's not the point is it?

I've built a ROM emulator before which worked fine, so I think this should be OK.

Andrew
Papalapa
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par Papalapa »

amenjet a écrit : 21 déc. 2022 13:47
Joscelyn a écrit : 21 déc. 2022 10:45 Hi Andrew,

Joscelyn
the jumpers are to configure the board as different sizes of memory in the memory map. So it can be a 4K, 8K,... etc. That sizing is done in hardware as mentioned in the previous post. Firmware can't really do that and I've run out of GPIOs anyway, which is why there are two Picos. It makes it easier handling the SD card two, really. I just need to have a link between the two Picos.

Maybe a Transputer link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_q7ltG8gY&t=8s

Or maybe just simple serial data.

This board actually has four ARM cores 2x265K of RAM and 4Mbytes of flash. Each core runs at 120MHz or so, so this cartridge is far more powerful than the FX9000P itself... But that's not the point is it?

I've built a ROM emulator before which worked fine, so I think this should be OK.

Andrew
Good job! It seems that it's time to look for an empty cartridge to set your card inside :D .
amenjet
Fonctionne à 300 bauds
Fonctionne à 300 bauds

Message par amenjet »

Well, I'd better get it working first...
I've already spotted a problem with the Pico PCB, but it's possible to modify the PCB, and it's a prototype anyway.
Need to write some code now.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to 3D print a case. I'd have to do it in probably 4 pieces as my printer isn't big enough to print each half in one go.
The handle should be OK in plastic, but making it in metal would be nice, but difficult.

Andrew
Répondre

Retourner vers « Recherche informations / technique / etc ... [pas de petites annonces ici] »